Good morning VIU,
Our technicians have updated several key components of our network infrastructure. Reports from the testing group look good, and systems are back online.
If you experience any network challenges please email firstname.lastname@example.org
. Where possible please include the following in your email:
• Building and room number
• VIU computer name
• Wall jack number (if a wired connection) or wireless network name that you are experiencing the challenge with
• As much detail about the issue as you can include
This upgrade is part of the Network Remediation Project (NRP) being undertaken by VIU’s Information Technology Services (ITS) department to achieve significant improvements to the university’s network infrastructure.
Please note, additional planned outages will occur as part of Phase 2 of the NRP project. We will be reaching out to stakeholders as the schedule is developed. These may have shorter durations, and/or may be limited to one area or building at a time. Outage information will be communicated to the areas affected with proper notice and instructions.
Thank you for your patience,
Information Technology Services
Jul 21, 09:48 PDT
In progress -
Scheduled maintenance is currently in progress. We will provide updates as necessary.
Jul 21, 06:00 PDT
What is impacted: All VIU campus network and internet services including internet access, access to network files, external email, VPN connections, 4 digit dialing, VOIP phones, voice mail, and call flows.
Student logins to VIU Computers at Parksville, CTC, Deep Bay, Milner and GR Paine locations will not work.
Level of impact: Service interruption. The above services will be unavailable during the maintenance window.
Timing: 6:00 am to 10:00 am Sunday July 21.
Preparation: Complete phone calls, data transfers, email send/receive prior to the maintenance window. Have a cell phone handy in case you need to make a call. Blue emergency phones are available if there is an emergency. The following will be AVAILABLE:
- Wireless on Nanaimo Campus, NO Internet
- VIU Student computers in Nanaimo, Cowichan and Powell River – will be OK to login to, but have NO Internet
- VIU employee computers in Nanaimo, Cowichan and Powell River – will be OK to login to, but have NO Internet. In Parksville, CTC, Deep Bay, Milner and GR Paine employee logins will only work if the user has logged into the computer previously.
- VIU Email from Nanaimo Campus, incoming and outgoing emails will be queued and delivered automatically at the end of the maintenance
- From Nanaimo campus, Local Network Resources / Shared Drives
- Code Blue / Emergency Poles
- VOIP (4-digit dialing between campuses will be affected, use 10-digit dialing)
- Access to voicemail and call flows from regional campuses will not be available
The main viu.ca website will not be available from any campus during the outage but will be available from off campus.
Any www2.viu.ca websites will be available from the Nanaimo campus but not from off campus. Pages that require a log-in will not be accessible outside of the Nanaimo campus.
Any applications hosted offsite will be functioning normally, but will not be accessible from all VIU campuses.
The Library Learning Commons will be open 24/7, with the following limits on resources during the outage window
o WIFI will be available (no external sites/internet)
o VDI student workstations will be available (no external sites/internet)
o Library-licensed e-resources will not be available
The Nanaimo Library will be open during its regular Sunday hours from 10am to 5pm.
Open Access library resources will be accessible at: libguides.viu.ca/library, from off campus.
Jul 17, 16:28 PDT